Saturday, October 1, 2011

Autumn

It really feels like autumn this morning. I thought that, as I stood outside in my nightgown and a windbreaker, watching firefighters work on the second local housefire in two weeks.

Oh, yeah, and I thought, 'I need to get a new battery for my smoke detector.'

I'm always of two distinct feelings as autumn closes in, days getting shorter and nights getting longer and colder. On the one hand, I hate to see nice weather leave because I love sitting out in the garden with a cup of tea or glass of wine. 

On the other hand, autumn and winter bring their own joys. I like 'autumn' foods, heartier fare and yummy holiday treats. Oh, and roast turkey... yum! I also get back to crafting: crocheting, painting, needlework, etc. But most of all, autumn brings with it a 'back to work' mentality that really helps me get a lot done. I don't feel like I'm missing out on outdoor activities when the weather is as cold, windy and rainy as it has been the last few days.

What do you like about autumn?

(By the way... no one was hurt in the fire, the second in our neighborhood in two weeks, but what an eye-opener at five in the morning... standing outside in 6 Degrees Celsius... brrrrr!)

2 comments:

  1. Autumn here in East Texas means the temps fall to the mid 80's during the day and we have blue skies and sunshine. The first "cold snap" we have usually brings the temps down to the 60's and that's when we go for the chili cheese dogs--which just don't taste as good during July as they do during October! I love Fall with all the leaves turning gorgeous colors and all the orange, gold and yellow mums. And definitely the hint of pumpkin pie, pumpkin latte and pumpking cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, chili cheese dogs... now I want one! I love fall colors, too, and all that pumpkin... yum. Think I'll make some pumpkin muffins.

    ReplyDelete